BBQ and tostadas certainly aren’t a classic combination, but I’ve definitely had some good BBQ/Mexican (ok, maybe BBQ/Tex-Mex) fusion before! I’ve seen it done well in nachos, in particular. This recipe looked interesting, but also a little suspicious. Is BBQ chicken, mozzarella, and tostadas a little too much fusion? I had some leftover shredded chicken, so I thought we’d try it and see!
- 8 corn tortillas, brushed lightly with olive oil and baked for 3-5 minutes per side until crispy
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, very thinly sliced (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine chicken and BBQ sauce in a bowl.
Divide the chicken between the tostada shells and top with cheese.
Bake for 6-8 minutes, until cheese is melted. I eventually had to broil mine to get it like this.
RP Servings: 8
Stars: 3. Very mediocre. Not bad, just very disjointed and plain. It didn’t feel very cohesive- it felt like what you toss together with leftovers and hope turns out good. It as edible, sure, but not something I’m going to intentionally seek to make again.