- 1 pound jalapeños
- 1 pound (16 ounces) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 1 to 2 quarts vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Salsa, for serving
Wearing gloves, trim off and discard the top and bottom of each jalapeño. Cut each jalapeño crosswise into 1-inch rings. Remove seeds and white inner ribs from each ring (a small melon-baller works well for this).
Stars: 2. These were really disappointing. You can kind of see from the outside shells, but the cream cheese almost completely melted out of the inside of the poppers. In addition, the jalapeños weren't fully cooked, and were still in that bad place between raw and cooked. We think they could be better if the oil was less hot and the jalapeños cooked longer.