For the Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic (less if you're sensitive to garlicky things)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, and southwestern seasoning (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small corn tortillas (we used gluten free wraps)
- 1-2 avocados (I forgot these!)
- Cotija cheese and additional cilantro for topping (we used shredded Mexican cheese mix)
- lime wedges for serving
Mix all the sauce ingredients except sour cream in a food processor or high velocity blender until mostly smooth. Add the sour cream and pulse until blended.
Mix the slaw and some of the sauce in a bowl. Add sauce to your taste - you definitely won't use all of it. Mix and let stand for about a half hour.
Pat the shrimp dry, sprinkle with spices, and toss to coat well.
Heat a little oil in a large pan on med high to high (depending on how hot your burner is). When it's hot, add the shrimp. Cook a couple minutes, then turn and cook 1-2 more, until cooked through. Don't over cook!
If you remembered the avocado, smash a bit in the tortilla and add the shrimp and slaw. We added thinly sliced jalapeño, a little more sauce, and some shredded cheese.
RP Servings: 1 lb of shrimp would be about 3
RATING: 3 1/2 stars
The hubby and I debated this one. It wasn't his favorite - he thought the slaw should be a little sweeter and I thought it was great on the taco. (I liked it by itself too!) I did add more salt, cilantro and more lemon juice to the sauce. I think adding some jalapeño to it would be very tasty - we just put the slices in the taco, but in the sauce would probably be better. I'd probably give this a 4, but we averaged it. Very tasty!