I mentioned earlier that I am a deal shopper, so naturally I bought most of my ingredients at Aldi. I think Aldi is awesome, and minus a few things I personally don't like, I do all my shopping there. But anyway, that's another post for another day.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion
- 1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of colby jack, monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes
- diced green onions
- sour cream
- Start by sautéing onions in 2 tablespoon of olive oil until they start to soften.
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
- Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
RATING: Overall, I rate this a 5/5! Because you can add so many things to this dish, you can make it as flavorful or as simple as you want. I will definitely be making this again.