For the topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (or an equal amount of regular all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted vegan butter (Earth Balance) - I used regular butter!
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (or an equal amount of regular all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance) - I used regular butter!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup rice milk - I used 1% milk
I didn't have nutmeg so I just put some cinnamon in the batter. I ended up using half King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and half Cup-for-Cup. And I just realized I used 8 tbsp butter for the topping instead of 6... THAT can't be a bad thing, right??
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9" square pan.
In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients - use a fork to smash up the butter, or use your hands.
In a large bowl, mix the dry cake ingredients.
In a mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 3-4 min. Add the sugar slowly, beating another couple of minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating in between to combine.
Add the vanilla and banana and mix well.
Add the milk and flour mixture, alternating and stopping when just combined.
Cool on a wire rack for 5 min, then remove from pan to continue cooling. I had to cut mine in squares to do this - and forgot for longer than 5 min.
Or you can do what my husband did and sample the "salad" (he said it had banana in it so...).
Okay, we didn't wait for it to cool. I went in and my husband was eating out of the middle (reminds me of the Cosby Show episode where Cliff eats the middle out of the cake and stuffs paper towels in the hold and frosts it...!). Then, of course, I had to tidy up the mess by cutting a piece like a normal person. Which I had to eat. So there was that. It is not too banana-y, but the banana makes it super moist. The topping is killer, as it should be with all that butter. Bottom line? MAKE THIS!