- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional- I used it)
- ½ teaspoon salt (I doubled this, which was perfect)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium-low (do medium) heat. Add squash and onions and cook until tender.
*She says 45 minutes, but I would probably start checking on it at around 30-35 minutes.
Stars: 3 as written, 3.5 or 4 with my tweaks. It definitely needed the extra salt, and I think cooking it 45 minutes is most likely too long. But we really enjoyed it, and liked that the squash could still shine through in this recipe and wasn't overwhelmed by butter, mayo, cheese, or crackers. You could even use less butter with pretty much the same results. I think that I'll work with it to bring the carb/fat levels down in the future, but if you're not worried about that, this is a great dish!