- 6 cups popped popcorn (about 5 tablespoons unpopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (I subbed honey per the interwebz because I was out)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sea Salt, to taste
- chocolate chips for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 250.
Let it cool. Eat.
OKAY. HOW can this have gone wrong?? I ask you in all seriousness. There are only yummy things in the recipe. But. NOT yummy. I didn’t say anything to my husband about it; he came home and popped some in his mouth. Made a face. Asked what it was supposed to be. Tried another piece. Said, “IS THIS ANOTHER PINTEREST RECIPE?” Walked away. Came back 10 min later and tried another piece, then walked away shaking his head and muttering, “HOW do you make that concept bad?!”
I did the same thing. I kept trying some, thinking that SURELY it was ok. Maybe not great, but ok. But NO. It wasn’t. It was bad.
I really don’t know how this was bad, except that it definitely had burnt undertones. But we agreed, it wasn’t edible. And we LOVE POPCORN, people!
You COULD probably make it good with a few tweaks –
- double the caramel
- add the chocolate to the hot caramel and stir til melted before adding to the popcorn
- cook maybe 15 min